|Taking a family vacation does not mean leaving Fido at home or in a kennel anymore. Today there are plenty of pet-friendly accommodations and activities that help you include your most faithful member of the family, the family pet! Here are some great websites to help you plan that perfect vacation with your pet:
- Lodging: Finding a pet-friendly hotel can be a daunting task, but now the major travel portals (i.e. Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.) make it easier to find the perfect hotel that can accommodate your WHOLE family. When using these portals, simply type in the regular information for the search. Once the results are shown, simply click the Narrow Search by Amenity (or similar)” and make sure you check the “Pet Friendly” option. This will narrow your search to hotels which allow pets!
- Airlines: If you must fly to your destination, and your pet can fit into your lap many airlines will allow you to carry-on your pet at a low fee. For a listing of airline pet travel policies click here.
- Cruise lines/Charters: Unfortunately due to strict health codes and port entry requirements there are not many cruise lines that allow pets on board, and those that do have very fine print. For those set on the ocean, chartering may be an interesting alternative. Some small charter boats will allow pets on board, which can make your vacation an extra special event. Simply call the company and ensure that pets are allowed on-board!
- Pet Safety: The phrase better too safe than sorry certainly applies to your pet’;s health before taking them on vacation – whether they are being “doggy sat”, put in a kennel, or a passenger on a plane etc. If your pet has anxiety, or has never traveled before it is a good idea to have the vet check the pet’;s overall health. The vet may decide to prescribe medication to help ease the pet’;s nerves. Remember traveling with a pet can be stressful for both you and the pet, so it is important to take precautionary measures – for example pack a pet first aid kit. For more pet safety tips check out www.aspca.org.
- Activities: Finding accommodations is just the first step in a great family vacation. Ensuring you plan pet-friendly activities can make or break the whole vacation. You wouldn’;t want to bring Fluffy all the way, just to leave them in the room! The following links have great activities and ideas that will have you barking for more: